Saturday, January 24, 2015

Side Notes : Argo

This one has been on my "to watch" list ever since it won Best Picture and a few others at the 2013 Academy Awards. Ben Affleck has done an amazing job with this film acting and directing.

Based on the 1979 raid and hostage situation of the American Embassy in Tehran, Iraq, it tells the story of a plan devised to remove 6 that managed to escape during the raid.

I read a little bit about the start of this film and how they wanted to jump right into the start of the invasion on the embassy. Affleck decided to take the "building up" approach and give us reason as to why there was the raid in the first place. We are given a brief overview of the situations leading up to the protesting and tensions that were building at the time. I feel this did help us as viewers be able to more understand where the protesters were coming from and not necessarily have a view of them just being "barbaric". It also helped play up the severity of the situation and understand the need to get out the 6 as quickly and stealthily as possible.

The tones of the film are very high tension with the delicate handling of the plan and making sure that everything goes to plan. I really liked the counter balance with John Goodman's character and Alan Arkin's with their humorous tone.

I read a few reviews that said the movie was predictable and built up to a few scenes where "nothing really happened" and they didn't feel any type of climax. I would have to disagree. I was pretty much on the edge of my seat figuratively, wondering if they were going to make it out without any issues. I know the outcome of the situation from history, but still there was a lot of tension and fear from the characters not knowing if one false move or inaccuracy would result in them being captured and tortured. It was high risk and I don't know if I would have been able to maintain the same level headed-ness that they all had. I can't imagine how terrifying the whole situation was and even being in that area during that time.

Overall I really liked it and thought it was a wonderfully done film. I like the use of an "older" style of shooting and how it wasn't overly 'advanced".  Well deserved Oscar, Mr Affleck.

No comments:

Post a Comment